Chainmail mantle

Kettenhemden, Brigantinen, Kopfbedeckung, Plattenpanzer... etc.
Forumsregeln
Wir suchen für den Werkstatt- und Tutorialbereich noch einen oder mehrere Leute, die sich des Forums annehmen und es mal in Schuß bringen und moderieren :)
Wenn Du dazu Lust hast, melde Dich bei mir.
Wir freuen uns über Unterstützung!
Das OL-Team
Antworten
Mercykiller
vorbeischauender Mistsnaga
Gruppe: Ironclaw
Chainmail mantle

Beitrag von Mercykiller »

Got given a bunch of scrap chainmail from friends who had trimmed down their own items and had excess left over.
Options were to use it as decoration or work out how to turn it into something viable as armour at my larp.

There was just enough chain to make a mantle.
Had to clip and pull apart a few sections until all the pieces fit together, reusing the links to roughly join them back together. Came back through with split rings used for scalemail for extra strength then top stitched with cording to cover the bright rings that would naturally darken from the chainmail.

The inital piece wasn't balanced enough and spun while being worn which was annoying as it pulled my hood and cloak with it.

It sat in a corner for a while until yesterday when I decided to tackle it again.

Added some extra chain i had left over, then edged it with scrap leather for some extra weight in hopes that this time it will stay put. If not I'll add more leather strips.
Dateianhänge
Screenshot_20181217-121814_Gallery.jpg
Mercykiller
Re: Chainmail mantle

Will add more pics when I'm not on my mobile.
Mercykiller

Initial patchwork
Bild

with the white cording sewn in.
Bild

2 extra pieces added and the leather trim.
Bild

What it looks like being worn. It will sit over my chest armour and under a hood, depending on how I feel like layering.
Bild
Krith'Rup / Slarn
Plapperuruk
Plapperuruk
Gruppe: Shira Hai
Verbund/Verbünde: Grat U Murdur

Beitrag von Krith'Rup / Slarn »

Hi Bec,

I highly advise you NOT to make a mantle out of mail armor.

Since the mantle is too short to reach your waist, in order to tuck some of it into your belt so as to disburse some of the weight to the waist and remove some of the burden from your shoulders - here the entire weight of it will sit ONLY on your shoulders.

It will make you tired really quickly, even when you are just sitting, and, in long LARPs it will be a problem.

Plus, because it's so short, when you will want to run or charge, it will bother you.

It's better to place it elsewhere, maybe mount it on some leather and make a pair of bracers from it.

Or, use it as patches of mail on various areas around your waist.

Anyhow, it's too bright ATM; I recommend that you blacken it by smearing it with cooking oil and toss it into the fire, until it all becomes black.

Regards,

Slarn
Goblin Industry
29 Maglubiyet Road
Forest of Eyes
World of Greyhawk
Mercykiller

Slarn hat geschrieben: 17 Dez 2018 23:44 Hi Bec,

I highly advise you NOT to make a mantle out of mail armor.

Since the mantle is too short to reach your waist, in order to tuck some of it into your belt so as to disburse some of the weight to the waist and remove some of the burden from your shoulders - here the entire weight of it will sit ONLY on your shoulders.

It will make you tired really quickly, even when you are just sitting, and, in long LARPs it will be a problem.

Plus, because it's so short, when you will want to run or charge, it will bother you.

It's better to place it elsewhere, maybe mount it on some leather and make a pair of bracers from it.

Or, use it as patches of mail on various areas around your waist.

Anyhow, it's too bright ATM; I recommend that you blacken it by smearing it with cooking oil and toss it into the fire, until it all becomes black.

Regards,

Slarn
Duly noted about the weight for sure. I know it's going to rest entirely on my shoulders, but I'm only intending on wearing for short bursts anyway, the 2 hours on a Thursday when I play at Warsong and any skirmishes on long events, then it will come off as it will sit over the top of the other armour I wear. Since I only have leather chest armour at the moment, the weight isn't going to be to much more.

If I had more scrap I would make it longer and closer to the Epic Armoury chain mantle length so it wouldn't shift but this is why I added the leather. Ultimately if it becomes to bothersome I'll unpick it and reused the panels to make other things. But I'd like to try first. Next time a friend comes over I'll have a biff with them while wearing it and see how it goes.

Fire would burn through my cording and the leather :-\ I'll hit it with some shoe polish to darken it up and the oil will counteract the rusting.... hopefully.
Krith'Rup / Slarn
Plapperuruk
Plapperuruk
Gruppe: Shira Hai
Verbund/Verbünde: Grat U Murdur

Beitrag von Krith'Rup / Slarn »

Hmmm... you should have blackened it before you had already attached it to something :-\

I always blacken / rust metal parts before I attach them to the costume...

Anyhow, shoe polish will not hold on metal, let alone on smooth metal rings (as they don't look riveted).

If you cannot take off the mail from the leather in order to blacken it, maybe try putting some hydrogen peroxide on the rings, as it will help them rust.

Good luck with it ;)
Goblin Industry
29 Maglubiyet Road
Forest of Eyes
World of Greyhawk
Khrosh
Plapperuruk
Plapperuruk
Gruppe: Zabis Udu
Verbund/Verbünde: Grat u Murdur

Beitrag von Khrosh »

at first: hi, and welcome here,

i hope you get the advice your're searching for.

What i see here makes me kinda happy and sad at the same time.
I like the idea of chainmail- peaces that are sewn on a larger peace of cloth or something.
In fact, I for myself sometimes thought of something familiar, but have abandoned it for several reasons.

I like that you use butted mail instead of something thats just closed by bending it together.

but here come the cons: everything that slarn already said.
espacially the point of darkening it by oil and fire.
as far as i know, there are just 2 options to brunish steel: Fire and oil, or chemicals.
but right know, both of them are no longer an option, as long as you dont want to tear it off again.

both of them would harm your stiching right now. shoe polish is just a temporary option.
as it is often based an some fat- containing substances as well, it will be off your armor very soon.
keyword here is just the sun.

but the fact, that you have to tear it apart again, if you want it dark, gives you some options of learning
from that. overthink the concept of the whole thing.

here is my advice: tear it off, burnish it.
while it is in the fire, take some piece of cloth that covers your chest and make a vest of it.
take some more thick armor- leather, cut it into some pieces that will fill the gaps
between the pieces of mail. by this, you cover some more space with it.
when the burnishing is done, sew the leather and mail on the vest. done.

now you have a kinda similar piece of armor, that covers your entire chest, looks cool, like made of
something somebody else left over, as it actually is, and, most important, does not flatter around
while you're fighting.

the important thing is, that it is closed under your arms. because you want to strangle your enemy,
not yourself, right?

anyway, im done here. looking forward to see your results, no matter what your decision is.

cheers
nardurz dalug'hai'izubu,
gazogûrz grishum'izubu.
nar'ufurizgu ish, nar'ufurizgu matum!
îstizgu tug, ghung murdur bugdat,
maukizgu, fitgizgu, matizgu shakhburzur!
Mercykiller

All the advice is welcome for sure, it teaches me a lot about the process of making armour, which to be honest is something I am still very new at as most of my expertise lies in clothing and foam work. Even if it hurts to hear i have to pull apart my work I am happy to learn from it all.
If it doesn't end up working I will take it all apart and reuse the pieces for sure, turn it into another little project which I'm more than happy to do anyway because I like to craft. :)

The idea for an underarm strap sounds good, I might implement that in some way for future projects.

The polish I use isn't fat based cream, it's closer to an enamel paint designed for the faux leather/synthetic materials. So it sticks and doesn't come off without using mentholated spirits or turpentine. But I expect it won't last very long considering the rings of mail move a lot more than any other armour I've put it on, so it will end up being a temporary measure.

Here's a couple pics of it on. Both over and under one of the hoods I have. Having the cloak really does secure it more but right now with it being summer it is to hot. :P
I do a jump and wriggle test every time I test pieces, it's not quite the same as actually being on field but it gives me an idea while at home how a piece will function.

Under the hood, it does slide a bit more than I would like because it is on smooth leather, I don't particularly want to do anything to the leather chest I have under it, yes I know it looks very smooth and clean, I swap characters occasionally so the armour needs to kinda stay universal... for now.
Bild

In comparison the mail is VERY bright against the rest of the kit, especially because of the white thread. It definitely shifts less with fabric under it.
Bild

Cloak over the top. Much to hot to wear right now, I started overheating almost immediately unfortunately.
Bild
waghul
OrklagerUser
OrklagerUser
Gruppe: Ang-Gijak
Verbund/Verbünde: Ushtarak Burzum

Beitrag von waghul »

Simple spray paint might also work to darken it. Of course it will wear off eventually due to the movement of the rings but probably not over the course of a con. Not the most sustainable solution but a potential quick fix.
Antworten

Zurück zu „Rüstungen“